“Torch” — Part VI, Page 19

Posted on September 22, 2010 at 12:00 am in Uncategorized as part of Torch - Part Six « Torch - Part Six. Follow responses to this post with the comments feed. You can leave a comment or trackback from your own site.

1. Ashbet says:

Ohhhh, I’m dying — when will there be more?? :D

(Stayed up until 3 this morning reading “Torch,” after re-reading both volumes of the Finder Library, plus “Voice,” in the last week . . . I’ve been reading “Finder” since 1999, but since a lot of my comics are still with my former husband, I bought the books for a delicious Finder-feast.)

2. Twitch says:

The final installment of “Third World” is in Dark Horse Presents this week. Carla mentioned plans to publish that in a separate collection, so here’s hoping early next year.

Then sometime after that she says she’ll be diving into a largely-rewritten Torch (so start saving them rough draft pages to your hard drive for posterity! ;) )

(Though I also hope 2013 is when BAD HOUSES, her Vertigo collaboration with Sara Ryan, finally gets released…)

3. Twitch says:

(though it appears that BAD HOUSES has been moved to Dark Horse – http://talkingwithtim.com/wordpress/2012/09/19/sara-ryan-on-empress-of-the-world/ )

Not this week; there’s one more DHP.

The DHP story is titled 3RD WORLD, and while it will be next year’s print volume, it won’t be early. Think fall/Christmas.

The inking process on BAD HOUSES has begun, and if I’m good, will be wrapped up early next year. BH is scheduled to release next year, dunno when yet. While I’m inking BAD HOUSES, I’ll be rescripting TORCH. But I have absolutely NO perspective on TORCH yet, so how much it’ll change, dunno. There will be a webcomic presentation of BAD HOUSES starting… mumble mumble mumble.

5. Anna says:

It’s so hard (no pun intended) rereading this and being left with the same cliffhanger as before! Especially as I haven’t read any of the DHP stuff.

Looking forward to Bad Houses – funnily enough I read the comic that Sara Ryan did with Dylan Meconis earlier today, and enjoyed the little cameo from Katrina (I still love Me & Edith Head, which Steve Leiber sent to me ten years ago because I happened to blog about it :)

Oh, this is Anna from England who used to write for ST, by the way. Last time I saw you was ten years ago, as well! (At SPX) :)

Just finished inking page 100 (out of 146) on BAD HOUSES. Chuggin’ along. Hi!

7. Lucy says:

That–that’s where it ends?

Awh. I want to know what happens next. Re-scripting, gah, whyyy? It was going so well!

I guess I’m just going to have to read some of this other stuff in the mean time.

8. Kai says:

Speed- I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading Finder; the richness of the world is fascinating and almost unprecedented, of course, but on top of that I find a lot of the choices you make really moving. The gender play you’re doing in Torch is interesting, and, as a trans person, it’s incredibly powerful to find stories about that play. Stories where the author sees gender as anything but immutable are rare, worlds where gender is performed differently by different cultures even rarer, and stories where that performance is revealed organically, because it is a function of a character that we care about, rather than as an inclusionary tactic, almost unheard of.

So that means a lot to me personally. I basically love everything about Finder. I love the linework and the design and how information and background is slowly revealed and the world, all the things in the world! The world is so big, and so apparently different from this world, but still so human.

I don’t feel like I’m saying anything useful so I’ll stop. Thank you for doing this. Thank you for telling these stories.