“Torch” — Part V, Page 37

Posted on February 15, 2010 at 5:00 am in FINDER as part of TorchTorch - Part Five, « TorchTorch - Part Five, . Follow responses to this post with the comments feed. You can leave a comment or trackback from your own site.

1. Inkthinker says:

What’s the squiggle above the door in p1? Significant symbol, or sketchy artifact?

Wire, as in, “On their walls he left nothing but hooks, and some wire.”

In the last panel, there, Rachel looks and sounds a lot like her mom, to me.

4. pencilears says:

oh! ha!
    just realized, she’s just not dressed right and she doesn’t know it.
    like stepping out of the yurt with out your belt on.

What happened to the packages that Nightjar was holding? (maybe she just put them down where we can’t see them)

6. Owlmirror says:

“Nightjar” sounds vaguely biblical to me, and I see that at least one translation of Isaiah 34:14 (NWT) for “lilith” is “nightjar”, a faint memory of which might be why I made the association.

I see on looking back that Nightjar wanted to perhaps talk about the sexin’ and the shaggin’ (and Jack didn’t), which makes me wonder if the connection with Lilith is less coincidental than it might appear.

Hm.

“And haunters of waterless regions must meet up with howling animals, and even the goat-shaped demon will call to its companion. Yes, there the nightjar will certainly take its ease and find for itself a resting-place.”

I tried to look up what you were referring to. At first, I didn’t see NWT. It’s not made available on biblegateway.com. And no wonder. NWT, or New World Translation, is the Jehovah’s Witness translation. Neat.

Other translations of that verse refer to nightjar/lilith as “night creature” or “night monster” or “night animal”. And some designate it with the feminine gender, unlike the NWT translation.

From Wikipedia:

Nightjars are medium-sized nocturnal or crepuscular birds with long wings, short legs and very short bills. They are sometimes referred to as goatsuckers from the mistaken belief that they suck milk from goats (the Latin for goatsucker is Caprimulgus). Some New World species are named as nighthawks. Nightjars usually nest on the ground.

See also the Ascian context of Lilith/ the Lilim, “The Rescuers” p. 117. The Lilim are Ascian women capable of parthenogenous reproduction, rather like the construct “mother models”. According to Jaeger, when they appear they have to be killed to prevent a population explosion.

Not to implicate our lovely Nightjar, who shows no sign of such a capability.

10. Nightjar is also the name of an Alan Moore comic and its heroine, both abandoned by the future Magus when (if I guessmember correctly) the magazine/ company folded.