“Torch” — Part V, Page 4

Posted on November 16, 2009 at 5:00 am in FINDER as part of TorchTorch - Part Five, « TorchTorch - Part Five, . Follow responses to this post with the comments feed. You can leave a comment or trackback from your own site.

Or EXTRAterrestrial dinosauria?

Creationist dinosaurs?

OK, here’s me overthinking this:

A Laeske is essentially a six-limbed creature (forelimbs, hind limbs, wings.) No vertebrate on earth has four legs AND wings. (Assuming we *are* on Earth or equivalent.)

So Shar is right, though he’s probably arrived at his conclusion by far more scientific methods. His kind are either aliens (extraterrestrial or extradimensional) or constructs.

I would guess that the distant progenitors of the Laeske were constructs, though they may have gone through several stages before they were able to breed true. We’ve seen them displaying both reptilian and birdlike characteristics; we’ve seen how advanced this era’s biotechnology is, and how ubiquitous constructs are. We’ve seen the Nyima (in “King of the Cats”) make a genetic virus the linchpin of their society and hierarchy. The first image we saw in “Sin-Eater” was of Ganesh: a human figure with an animal head. In his own origin myth his angry father tore off his human head and later, in contrition, replaced it with that of an elephant to save his life, thus making him, basically, a construct.

What this says to me is that this world has undergone a genetic cataclysm; possibly the same catastrophe that caused the “interregnum” Jaeger refers to. I would be interested to see how the Laeske themselves will react to Shar’s going public with his findings, and what their story of their own origins might be.

Laeske don’t have six limbs. Their ‘wings’ grow from their forelimbs. There are six-limbed constructs, but constructs are living tinkertoys.

5. Lethe says:

I once had a dream of a Laeske-elfquest-elf-centaur.

…. I don’t think that helps this discussion any, but it sure looked cool.

6. The Nyima think the Laeske are war-gods. “Angels” is of course not far off from that. Cool!

7. We also know that Shar is right, since there are no velociraptor descendants in our time, smart or stupid, who could possibly become the ancestors of the Laeske. If the Pastwatch Institute would ease up on the Paul Simon reconstructions, and focus on some serious historical research, they might already know that.

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that Laeske share no DNA with humans. So, if even fruit flies share some DNA with us, the Laeske are from an entirely separate, independent, parallel line of evolution.
    Hogwash. Them things is dinosaurs.

And he’s gonna burn his tongue doing that.

Aha– damn, I am a doofus. Mea culpa, Speed!

11. Bryan says:

Congrats on this “Bad Houses” GN I see…

How do laeske talk If they don’t use their tongues ?
    Maybe they talk like parrots do; with their throats.
    Or do they have a totally different physical apparatus to speak?

Yes, if I recall correctly, it’s with their throats. Which is supposed to explain their particular lisp.

14. Lethe says:

<– Still wants a sourcebook for the universe of Jaeger and friends :)

15. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALAN MOORE!

And also, Jose Villarubia!

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled aborigscifi.

16. Hmpf says:

Re: possible extraterrestrial origins of the Laeske: there’s also that song about exile that Shar is fond of whistling and Professor Zivancevic quotes to Vary at one point. Which does not seem to be original Laeske music/poetry, but is still an interesting choice of song, considering…

Hm. You mean that song that made Vary cry, something about “The skies are full. Heaven is not your home.”? That was a song whistled by Shar?

Yes, it is an interesting choice of song, considering the extraterrestrial theory.

Look and remember.
    Look upon this sky;
    Look deep and deep into the sea-clean air,
    The unconfined.
    The terminus of prayer.
    Speak now and speak into the hallowed dome.
    What do you hear?
    What does the sky reply?

The heavens are taken.
    This is not your home.

By Karl Jay Shapiro, according to the liner notes.

19. “The terminus of prayer.” Oooooh!

I mean, damn!

“What does the sky reply” maybe not so much.

But damn! It’s all empty so it might as well be a dome stopping prayer as the endless expanse it is, that prayer just soars off into meaninglessly, endlessly. An event horizon, same thing.

Anyhow it feels really cool to me and it doesn’t fit with “The Heavens are taken,” which seems overpretty and tacked on. (taken? who by? Suddenly it’s taken by someone?)

This is a glorious poem that needs saving from those last three lines, authorial privilege be damned. Everyone else should choose their own vandalism, but in my pocket universe this ends “It’s echoing reply:/ The house’s walls say / “We are not your home.” Which is hack work on my part but frees up the earlier stuff to mean something I could easily cry over sung to a whittled flute.

Man I suck, but okay, I’m hitting the comment button.

Yes, the last two lines are a turnaround. So much openness in the rest of the poem leading up to that. The last two lines made sense, to me, not to fit with the rest of the poem, but to make its point counter to the setup – that contrary to what we feel about the openness of the sky, it isn’t. I was myself moved by this poem a few years ago, though not when I first read it. I feel it says “Don’t look to heaven for your comfort or your escape or your happiness. We spirits in the heavens are already here. There has never been room for you here. This has never been your home, never been your goal. Where you are right now is right where you’re meant to be for right now. Be happy right where you are.”

Kind of like “Imagine”: “Imagine there’s no heaven. It’s easy if you try. No hell below us. Above us, only sky. Imagine all the people, living for today.”

When is “Bad Houses ” gonna be published??