“Torch” — Part IV, page 2

Posted on October 7, 2009 at 5:00 am in FINDER as part of TorchTorch - Part Four, « TorchTorch - Part Four, . Follow responses to this post with the comments feed. You can leave a comment or trackback from your own site.

Oh boy! A new page to pick apart!

My guess: Rachel is in the bed, (surrounded by portraits of suitors, and the Oriana-face is getting onto the pillow)

The person in the portrait spent the night, and she is the same one as the skinny one on page 1.

(And I bet Carla drew the foreshortened picture of Rachel lying down using a live model . It is perfect. )

-no wait a minute, the portrait is still in the studio of the artist that did it, maybe a self portrait… ?

ssshhhh…. she’s sleeping…! I saw her sleeping and tiptoed back out…

No, no live model. My intern went back to school. I sculpted some little clay heads of my prominent characters to help me with facial rotations. Poor little things, I carry them around with me and their ears are all broken off.

*whispers* I think the skinny one is Rachel, and it’s Rachel in the portrait. That armchair is the one where Jaeger cradled Rachel saying “You and me both.”, for one thing. So it’s Rachel’s room, not the artist’s studio.

*whispers back* I think the skinny one is the one in the chair.

WAIT I just noticed something!! I may be mistaken, but isn’t that cast- off thong a MANS version?? *oops- I forgot to whisper*

*whispers* Yeah, I think the skinny one is the one in the chair, in the portrait. Neat that we can see the dress that she posed in still draped on the chair. We just disagree on who the skinny one is. Yeah, the thong looks a little big, but it still might be the model’s thong. I love the detail of Rachel’s hands in the third panel. I suspect the packages leaning on the bed have to do with the portrait. The one with the glass is probably a frame.

One package says “fragile Lass”

*whispers*Oh, wow, brilliant catch, reptangle. Yes, I noticed the “G” was crossed out. Yeah, I guess Rachel is fragile in some ways. I wonder if Rachel was the one who crossed out the “G”?

12. cookie says:

The last panel really is a lovely study and even more impressive if not drawn from a live model.

I do hope the stains on the pillow are makeup smudge and not blood. Rachel is looking pretty banged up and bruised.

I think the portrait hairstyle is extremely similar to what Rachel was wearing at the party in the earlier chapters of Torch.

Yeah, maybe the portrait is Rachel . She did mention some time back that she was going to be sitting for one.
    No tattoo though . Okay, I’ll shut up about that now.

Maybe Rachel asked the artist to leave the tattoo out. Or Carla just left it out. Dunno.

15. Carapace says:

Ya’ll, I don’t think the portrait is finished, and the tattoo would be one of the finishing details. Look, all the brushes and stuff are right there. So unless Rae’s hiding the artist in her bed– a fun possibility, to be sure– they’re coming back later for their kit. Hence, picture, not done, hence, no tattoo.

I love her hair in the portrait, though. Her collarbones, not so much. Scary skinny Rachel.

16. Owlmirror says:

[Another old thread, I know]

I am pretty sure that FRAGILE GLASS is a reference to Carroll’s Through the Looking Glass. In chapter 3, when Alice is on the railway, whe hears someone say “She must be labeled ‘Lass, with care’.” The Annotated Alice has a note for this line which says: In England, packages containing class objects are commonly labeled “Glass, with care.”

Thinking about that got me started on mapping the characters here with the Carrollian chess pieces — specifically, the white ones.

Pinya, Toth, Nightjar, Ahsef, Hauhet, Nineh, Kemet, Enna-Marika: All pawns.

Jackdaw is the white knight that Alice meets (“It’s my own invention”).
    Jaeger is the other white knight.
    As befits knights, they both move in odd wriggling ways.

The white king is Chief Coward, dreaming his way to a hoped-for victory.

The white queen/Alice is Rachel/Oriana, who here has to cope with six impossible things invasive probes before breakfast. She’s a former pawn, and in some ways, she may still be a pawn.

I’m not sure who the bishops or rooks should be. Maybe the two guards — one of them being Jack’s father — outside Rachel’s door in this scene are bishops? Or maybe the Aunts/Mama-das are the bishops (the headdresses do vaguely resemble mitres), and the men are rooks?

Hm.