Grumpy Git In Fancy Suit

Pencils for page 1 of first DHP story

This is pencilled page one of THIRD WORLD, a FINDER story which will run in 8-page installments in DARK HORSE PRESENTS. Get a job, sha na na na, sha na na na na, ba doo.

Back of first page with corrections.

Here’s an interesting thing: my eyes are lopsided.

Well, my brain, more likely. I have an aggravating tendency to favor the right side of a drawing over the left side. This is why, if I’m not careful, my characters sometimes end up looking like they have mumps, or eyes at different levels, or flat profiles. The best way to fix it is to flip the drawing over on my lightbox and drag the shapes back the other way. When all’s said or done, I can’t be sure they’re fixed, because I have only the same faulty brain to check it with. But you can see the lines I drew on the back of this one to correct Jaeger’s face, profile, shoulder, and leg.

Inked first page of first DHP story.

Aww. Somebody needs a nap.

From here it goes to color. Yass, color, by Bill Mudron and Jenn Manley Lee, who are both way too good to be doing MY stuff.

Here’s Bill: http://www.excelsiorstudios.net/ and here’s Jenn: http://www.jennmanleylee.com/

Scribbly.

And last, this is page one of the script. This is what my scripts look like when I’m just writing for myself.  Might have gotten more of the ‘dentisty waiting room’ out in the art if I’d had room, but the close-up of Jaeger was more important to the story.

Posted on January 11, 2011 at 5:51 pm in FINDER. Follow responses to this post with the comments feed. You can leave a comment or trackback from your own site.

OH OH OH!

This is a new look! -look at the sharp black shadows! No cross hatching??
    I am SO glad to hear that you have the same condition as I do , I always have needed to flip my images over to do the other sides of faces!

Still couldn’t stop myself from the frantic scribbly shadow under the chairs. Yes, since this is supposed to be going to color, I hope to keep the hatching to a minimum. I spent way, WAY too much time on pencilling the last three pages of this beast, trying to pay more attention to buildings and setting, so I’ve got my fingers crossed that cutting out the hatching will make up the time already spent.

3. carol says:

When will this be coming out?

4. Drooling Fan Girl says:

Yes please do let us know. I want to make sure i put it on my pull list.

5. A regular gig in DHP? Holy shit! That’s awesome!

Your fashion design is always so interesting… but I am sort of clueless about comprehending the significance of different fashion statements… Is he really wearing a Nehru collared shirt with a zoot-suit jacket?
    Looks like the shoulder is ripped and …is that blood?
    Well that part makes sense, it IS Jaeger after all…

I’ve totally had mornings like this.

Also, I think those awful, soulless chairs get the “dentist’s waiting room” feel across just fine. They’re so well-rendered I can smell the disinfectant and see the months-old issues of magazines no one cares about.

I just realised that the title of this post can be sung to the tune of Camptown Races. So obviously I had to share!